Dan the Man (With the Master Plan)

frankiesoup

Re: Dan the Man (With the Master Plan)

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 8th, 2010, 8:35 am

Ciggy wrote:I have a co-worker whose daughter is a recovering cancer patient...

I read recently that breast milk might be a cure for cancer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... tists.html

Beauty is beauty, in spite of perfection.

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 8th, 2010, 8:41 am

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup.:wave (TH)

frankiesoup wrote:Whoa! Peeling tomatoes! That's hard-core fussy eating!

Indeed.

I've actually lived with someone that wouldn't eat tomatoes, yet ate tomato sauce and tomato pasta sauces. (RY)

Onions were the only veg I had a bit of an issue with when I was a child, everything else I ate. I even loved brussel sprouts. :D Actually, I looked up the spelling as it shows it incorrectly here and found this site that you might be interested in ...

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/b ... /index.php

frankiesoup wrote:All the greenery I eat gets nommed up whole - most of the fruit/veg's nutrients lie just below the skin. And if you're cooking - for example potato wedges tossed in oil and baked - the skins mean that the veg absorbs far less fat, making the food better for you. Only thing I do is top and tail carrots/other root veg for the taste. What gets chopped off goes into the compost though. Same with all the coffee grounds, used tea etc. If I can't consume it this time round, I can eat it when it feeds some plants in my garden.

I'm virtually the same in the way that I prepare veggies. The great thing about eating in such a manner as well is that anything that is left over can be given back to the earth, and as you state, the energy from it can be consumed in the next batch of veggies that grow. You also have way less 'rubbish' to throw out and add to the land fill problem, which actually is of benefit for everyone.

frankiesoup wrote:Back to juicing though - I was thinking about this today. It's probably a great way to get kids to consume fruit and veg that you know is fresh and full of vitamins. Sneak some carrots into orange juice etc.

That's definitely one of the promotions used in marketing juicers. Personally, I think it would be of greater benefit to educate the children as to the benefits of vegetables. Having lived with a teenager (the tomato sauce individual I referred to above) that was a MAJOR fussy eater, refusing to eat certain veggies, etc, and seeing the change she underwent furthers my belief that educating the child is ultimately (long term) of greater benefit. Now, not only is she still a fruit fanatic, she actually eats many veggies that she wouldn't touch when I first started living in the same household as her.

I think pandering to idiosyncrasies of children is merely reinforcing the idiosyncrasy, whether this is related to food or other issues.

Juicing for very young children would be a great way of introducing them veggies/fruit, while at the same time supplying them with more nutrients than they would gain from eating the amount veggies/fruit that their stomach could contain. Including this with medical reasons, or using 'old' or abundant (more than you will be eating) veggies/fruit, I think that some juicing is beneficial. Otherwise it's whole foods for me. (W) :D

THANK YOU

WHEN PAIRED OPPOSITES DEFINE YOUR BELIEFS,
YOUR BELIEFS WILL IMPRISON YOU.

What is TRUTH ? . . . .THAT THE ONENESS IS ALL !!!
What is JOY ? . . . . . .ALL THAT THE ONENESS IS !!!
What is LOVE ? . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT IS ALL !!!
What is LIFE ? . . . . . ALL THAT IS THE ONENESS !!!
WHO AM I ? . . . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT ALL IS !!!

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 8th, 2010, 2:06 pm

I suppose it's also worthwhile to use a blank to pulp/mash veggies or fruits in cases where there are dental issues or to facilitate a blend for a recipe. In that case a low-RPM juicer would be a better tool to use than the "ghetto blend" that Dan the Man showed in his video (less heat generated, less destruction of enzymes).

Blanks are also easier to clean, hehe...

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 9th, 2010, 10:10 am

I think pandering to idiosyncrasies of children is merely reinforcing the idiosyncrasy, whether this is related to food or other issues.

I totally agree with that in theory, but in practise kids are difficult. I remember my Mum feeding me all kinds of healthy stuff that I loved, but because all of my friends didn't, when I was around them, I used to pretend I hated veg too and refuse to eat it. Never underestimate the appeal of fitting in!

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 9th, 2010, 11:20 am

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup. :wave (TH)

I know where you are coming from. (TU)

With some children, because of their age and pre set conditions, slipping veggies to them unawares is all good.

At the moment, I am living with a young male teenager and going through the same things all over again that happened with his elder sister that I talked about previously. He's back from living with his dad for 5-6 years, so there is some major correcting being done on some of the attitudes, though he is great in that I already had a relationship with him for a couple of years before he went to live with his dad. Even at that early age, I would discuss issues with him as I would with you here (or in person (W) ), nothing was 'out of bounds'. He's pretty switched on and recognises when he is allowing others to 'lead him' through conforming to expectations to 'fit in'. Actually, he probably knows more about how the societal structure works than the majority of adults.

Anyway, in the long run, it's beneficial for the child in more than what they consume for food. It strikes to the core of individual self-expression, which is something that should always be cherished and encouraged. This evening, just prior to me posting this actually, we had a great discussion during and after dinner (in which he ate a tomato sauce I wouldn't feed to anyone for any reason (W) ). He's allowed to make his own choices and recognises the consequences that he experiences comes from the choices that he makes. The fact that he is allowed to question everything and make up his own mind about issues (without fear of any punishment at all) encourages a dialogue that allows for his self-expression without fear of reprisals.

Actually, he'll admit to doing 'stupid' things, this past weekend being one such example. (ROFL) Yet he is willing to live with his choices and not complain about the outcomes of them. Ultimately this will lead to him being self-confident and able to make his own choices that are not influenced by others. While I'd love for him to drop some of his eating habits, if I influenced him to do so it wouldn't be his choice, which is really another form of control. So while I do not like to see him eating or drinking some of the shit that he does, it's his choice and he is gaining a total comprehension of self-responsibility ... which I think is going to stand him in 'good stead' in years to come when he 'goes out into the big, wide world'.

He is sitting a few feet away from me studying for an exam tomorrow, so I read out the post to him to see if he would like to comment, so ...

Cory: "I think it's better to make your own decisions because you learn from any mistakes that you make. For instance, after eating KFC, I've felt bloated and 'heavy', therefore I know that after eating KFC these are the consequences of what happens. You can also make an informed decision when you consume different things. ... that's about it." :D

THANK YOU

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 10th, 2010, 9:42 am

Oh shudder - tomato sauce is terrifying! It's just a big bottle of vinegar, sugar and red!

Sounds like a good kid/YA - I wish I'd been so insightful at that age :P

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm

It's mostly a matter of keeping kids switched on rather than switching 'em on.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 10th, 2010, 1:43 pm

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup & Ciggy. :wave (TH)

@ Frankiesoup - Yeah, he's great. Although he has gone out tonight and has probably eaten some KFC for dinner. (RY)

Being a teenager, he has that indestructible attitude still, which has both benefits and detriments to it. :D It would have been great f he had never gone and lived with his dad, though that's another issue entirely. (W)

@ Ciggy - Deffo mate. I find that answering ALL of the questions that they have is vital, no matter what the question is. If I don't have the answer then I'll research it and inform them of the research that I have done and discuss it with them. Having no limitations on what topics can be discussed is also a way forward, as I've noticed that both Cory and Amy (his older sister) have discussed things with me that they wouldn't discuss with any other adult.

Actually, Amy used to have some male friends call around at one point, and instead of going straight to her room they would sit down and have a discussion with me because they weren't used to having adults discuss issues with them in the manner that I do. It become funny as Amy would walk downstairs to await their arrival and find that they had spent the last 30 minutes in a discussion with me. :D She started jokingly complaining that they came around to talk with me instead of seeing her. (W)

Anyway, children are great. The issue that I've still got to work out on how to get across to them, is that some of the decisions that they are making now WILL effect them later on in life, and it's not simply a matter of changing habits later when things stuff up. As Amy got older, she worked this one out as we had discussed it. Cory comprehends it, though still hasn't done anything about it (as per eating KFC tonight), which could be something that came about because of the time with his dad.

THANK YOU

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 12th, 2010, 10:26 pm

I think truth is the foundation of any lasting relationship, but I reckon with teenagers it's especially important. They're of an age where they know what's going on in the world and have the courage and the tenacity to change the things they don't like - they have seen little enough of the 'rules' out there that they don't abide by them and if properly nutured will burn their own path.

I remember being 15 and having people talk down to me. In my weaker moments, it did used to make me lash out because I was sick of being treated like I didn't understand things. Yes, teens can be hostile, but if you talk to them like human beings - what they are! - then they'll respond in kind. It's cool that those around you, IAAIA, have that. Thankfully, my folks were always really open and understanding and as a result, I didn't lie to them about where I was going, didn't rebel just to prove I could, and didn't do anything stupid to assert my independance. I know a whole load of people who could learn a lesson or two from them!

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 5:57 am

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup. :wave (TH)

100% spot on sunshine. (Yey!) (kiss)

I recall one instance when Cory was here before going to his dads to live. A couple of mates were here and something went down. They attempted to lie to me when I questioned them about it and Cory laughed and stated that he's not going to punish you so be honest about it. Cory was and told me exactly what happened without any sugar coating.

Anyway, the two other boys I remember being so fearful when I questioned them about what had happened. Not because of my demeanour, simply because any such questioning by adults usually lead to them being punished and they were looking to avoid punishment. When what had happened came out and no punishment was forthcoming (I didn't tell their parents about it either (W) ), they had a different attitude with me and with how they conducted themselves when they were here. Every now and then there would be some backsliding, but it was minimal.

Cory very much comprehends what he gives out he gets back. He even stated the other night in the discussion I mentioned earlier that he recognises when something happens he can usually trace it to something 'stupid' he was doing, or as he said it, from "acting like a dick". :D Helping children to comprehend consequences from their actions is ONLY beneficial from my perspective.

Amy has done really well for herself, she is living in Queensland now and has 'stepped up to the plate', so much so that there would be very few indeed that have the maturity that she shows at her age (20). Cory is one I can see being even further ahead at that age and being able to handle anything that is 'thrown at him'. He knows the things he requires correcting on and it is simply a matter of when he will determine his own path without any influence from friends.

:lol44 This discussion has 'evolved'. Still, I love being around children and seeing them 'come into their own' and think that a part of them achieving that is from what they eat. After all, if the body isn't healthy, it'll be doubtful whether the mind is healthy. (W)

THANK YOU

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic