I recently bumped into a group of alternative people

Living in harmony with our world !!!
Polveirbecker2012

I recently bumped into a group of alternative people

Unread post by Polveirbecker2012 » February 16th, 2011, 3:48 pm

A group of protesters took control of an abandoned Leeds building this morning in protest against government welfare cuts and the 'gentrification' of the city centre.

The 20 or so protesters entered a building on Templar Street, which forms part of the planned £650 million Eastgate Quarters development, in the early hours of this morning and are hoping to occupy it for a week.

Today, protesters have been busy repairing the plumbing and electrics, unboarding windows to let in light, decorating and making the building waterproof and habitable.

Normally me and my mate end up in a bar that serves local ale. But one night he decided to drag me to ‘Cuts Café’ where I had to make do with a tin of Gaymers cider for £1.30. We sat they for four hours watching musician after musician in an open mic type night. The highlight was no doubt the Hurdy gurdy man above. I’ve never heard of that instrument before and it made my evening hearing a different sound. Feel free to listen to him yourself -

I later met that guy in a placed called ‘Fab Café’ and thanked him for his brilliant performance earlier in the evening. He such a tall guy though, so I was getting bits of his hair in my mouth thanks to been so close to his ear due to loud music. In all I’m a bit 50/50 about this protest. There are plenty of abandoned towns across the world so why not take up residence there?

Then again why should we move out of ‘civilisation’ just because we can’t afford to live in it. It’s a good idea and I hope that it achieves some things that it set out to do. Here are some photos from that night I’ll share with this forum -

ImageImage

ImageImage