The changing face of the humble garden

Living in harmony with our world !!!
frankiesoup

Re: The changing face of the humble garden

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 13th, 2010, 10:55 pm

I AM ALL I AM wrote:
I LOVE YOU

G'day. :wave (TH)

Here's another consideration, especially for Americans ...

S510 – Illegal To Grow, Share, Trade, Sell Homegrown Food

SB S510 Will Allow Government
To Put You In Jail ….

S510 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510 )

“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” It is similar to what India faced with imposition of the salt tax during British rule, only S 510 extends control over all food in the US, violating the fundamental human right to food.” ~ Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower.

Monsanto says it has no interest in the bill and would not benefit from it, but Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to have designed it and is waiting as an appointed Food Czar to the FDA (a position unapproved by Congress) to administer the agency it would create without judicial review if it passes.
S 510 would give Monsanto unlimited power over all US seed, food supplements, food AND FARMING.

Continued at ... http://rawearthliving.wordpress.com/201 ... wn-food-2/

Congress is Moving to Criminalize Home-Grown Food

According to Poor Richard’s Blog, which posts the URL to the legislation, Congress — at the apparent behest of Monsanto — is moving to make it a crime to "grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat" one’s own food. The direct URL may be found here.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

The bill is sponsored by Richard Durbin, the U.S. senator representing Monsanto in this piece of legislative filth. He is a registered Democrat. Among the seventeen co-sponsors listed are Lamar Alexander, Kirsten Gillibrand, Christopher Dodd, David Vitter, Ben Nelson, Orrin Hatch, and the late Ted Kennedy (what the hell?). It is currently under consideration in the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, and on the House Committee on Homeland Security.

Continued at ... http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/64426

THANK YOU

That's insanity. Undiluted insanity. How the crap do they intend to police that!?

Beauty is beauty, in spite of perfection.

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 14th, 2010, 6:37 am

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup. :wave (TH)

With fear based propaganda and ...

... coupled with ever increasing penalties for those that break the law, such as land confiscation, jail sentences, etc, etc.

Maybe it's time for an update to the Star Spangled Banner ...

America, home of the puree, and land of the slave. :sean :sean :sean

[sung with the effects hundreds of boots striking the pavement of Policy Enforcers (a.k.a. police) marching]

THANK YOU

WHEN PAIRED OPPOSITES DEFINE YOUR BELIEFS,
YOUR BELIEFS WILL IMPRISON YOU.

What is TRUTH ? . . . .THAT THE ONENESS IS ALL !!!
What is JOY ? . . . . . .ALL THAT THE ONENESS IS !!!
What is LOVE ? . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT IS ALL !!!
What is LIFE ? . . . . . ALL THAT IS THE ONENESS !!!
WHO AM I ? . . . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT ALL IS !!!

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 14th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Common sense just doesn't exist now, does it? With the money they're spending even talking about this stupid idea, let alone hoe much it would cost to enforce, they could push through something useful like public healthcare. And don't get me wrong, I hate how in hospitals over here patients are given paracetamol when they have a fever rather than a cold cloth, an open window and a fan, but surely it's far more sensible to heal the population rather than deny them access to the very things which might help to keep them healthy? You know, during the rationing of WW2, malnourishment and obesity were at an all time low - people ate less meat, no processed food, and had to survive on their own crops, the hedgerow and common livestock.

Oh wait - I've answered my own question. Keep people sick, keep them spending money on drugs. Simples.

ARGH!

It's not the just the lying that gets to me - not just the manipulation - it's the fact that no one will look at the cause and effect of problems in our society and find a logical solution. Healthcare issues, problems with feeding the population etc could all be solved so damn easily if people would only use the grey mass between their ears.

*Twtich*

I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke. It all just makes me so damn angry....

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 14th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup. :wave (TH)

frankiesoup wrote:... Oh wait - I've answered my own question. Keep people sick, keep them spending money on drugs. Simples.

ARGH!

That's the plan. (W)

It's also why taking responsibility of your own health is one of the key ways in which to free yourself from the system of control. Instead of charity, I'd say that it's responsibility that begins at home ... with the home being yourself (mind, body, soul). (TU)

frankiesoup wrote:I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke. It all just makes me so damn angry....

If you pop next door Lydia might have a herbal smoke to share with you. (W) :smo7

(rolljnt)

THANK YOU

WHEN PAIRED OPPOSITES DEFINE YOUR BELIEFS,
YOUR BELIEFS WILL IMPRISON YOU.

What is TRUTH ? . . . .THAT THE ONENESS IS ALL !!!
What is JOY ? . . . . . .ALL THAT THE ONENESS IS !!!
What is LOVE ? . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT IS ALL !!!
What is LIFE ? . . . . . ALL THAT IS THE ONENESS !!!
WHO AM I ? . . . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT ALL IS !!!

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 15th, 2010, 1:02 pm

I AM ALL I AM wrote:
Ciggy wrote:On that bill, S 510:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show#

<snip>

Ciggy summary: the letter of it is to beef up (no pun intended) existing regulations about food safety. It COULD be used to shut down an individual family garden if the system interprets it a certain way, or it could also be used to shut down Monsanto for being a public health hazard. I'd vote for the latter.

I LOVE YOU

G'day Ciggy. :wave (TH)

Which way do you think that the politicians, etc, will vote ? (EEK)

After all, they will be the ones with the power to enforce the statutes. (W)

The politicians don't interpret, which is part of the problem. The Congressional aids read and interpret and give summaries of "what the bill means" to the Representatives or Senators they work for, so that they'll know what they're voting for or against in session. Not a whole lot of regulation or monitoring goes on of what perqs and benefits bill sponsors give to the Congressional aids (as opposed to the elected officials for which there is infamous monitoring going on). This is Wild Wild West open bribery by the back door because corporate interests don't NEED to get an elected official in their back pocket--they can get that official's AIDS in their back pocket such that bills will be summarized the way they want them summarized, to the Representatives and Senators. This way there is a "plausible deniability" relationship between the corporate interests and the elected officials and it flies under the radar of ethics oversight agencies.

One notable case in point was the big Homeland Security bill that went through Congress right after 9/11. Nobody read that one, not even the aids. The major contractors supplying "services" to the newly created Dept. of Homeland Security had the bill written up and summary packages all ready to brief the aids what's in it, so the aids could in turn brief the politicians what to say about it in pundit interviews. Packaged all neatly with the urgency of "pass this or be known as supporting the terrorists" type of threat.

With this bill here, the aids will be told it's a "food safety" bill and to pass that happy happy joy joy interpretation on to the politicians. If pestered about it by activists, the aids will shrug them off as lunatics who are "against food safety". That's how these things work.

Where the rubber meets the road for the law when it gets passed, the enforcement side, that interpretation will be done by government attorneys and judges, who are also in the back pocket of the corporate interests. Their interpretation is normally "very different" from what they tell the Congressional aids to tell the politicians the law "means".

It all boils down to this, and as Carlin said: the owners of this system are going to do what they want no matter what's in the letter of the law.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 15th, 2010, 1:25 pm

I like to think there'd be a massive uproar in the UK if a similar thing was suggested here. I don't think the allotment community would stand for it, for one.

Speaking of growing your own veggies, I am off to the garden. Any tips on how to prepare soil would be very welcome - I have a big patch to do and limited compost/manue/nettle juice. Quick solutions are obviously especially welcome!

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 15th, 2010, 1:43 pm

frankiesoup wrote:I like to think there'd be a massive uproar in the UK if a similar thing was suggested here. I don't think the allotment community would stand for it, for one.

That's the real limitation on what the system can do to people--what will or will not result in a public outrage. It's never a matter of what's in the law, but what the system can get away with doing to people without police cars being burnt and overturned in riots. They test those boundaries regularly.

So as a matter of practical application, they'll simply have this regulation in their back pocket in case they feel the need in particular circumstances to target an individual for "the treatment", the full scale of official harassment that could include the confiscation of property for "food hazards in the garden". It wouldn't be an outright ban on all gardening everywhere.

frankiesoup wrote:Speaking of growing your own veggies, I am off to the garden. Any tips on how to prepare soil would be very welcome - I have a big patch to do and limited compost/manue/nettle juice. Quick solutions are obviously especially welcome!

When compost is limited, crop rotation becomes more important: nitrogen-fixing legumes can be used to treat soil to be planted in future rotations with nitrogen-eating plants. Direct mulching can also be helpful: any biomass taken fresh, shredded, and tilled into the soil and added as an over-layer around where the seeds have been planted, can "compost in place" while the plants are growing (and they bring in the earthworms as well).

If you don't have any biomass for mulch material, in your climate fava beans might be a good conditioning crop. They not only fix nitrogen, but their root systems supply a wonderful biomass that can aerate the soil as well and provide biomass for future mulching. There's also hairy vetch (not to be confused with Charly Veitch); white lupine; chickpeas; and if you don't need to fix nitrogen but just want a good soil-builder overall, buckwheat.

I used to operate a banana plantation in Tahiti, which admittedly doesn't directly translate to temperate gardening, but I know some of the basics. :tip

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 15th, 2010, 5:35 pm

I reckon we should be ok, looking at the soil quality. It's actually really nice, though I'd feared the worst - apparently no one has fed it in 2 years and it's been farmed during that time. From digging, I've managed to find out where most things were, so rotation should be possible too. And with a bit of luck, we should be able to raid a mound that Lyd says is the old compost heap. All we need now is a wheelbarrow and some seeds! Hooray!

A'ro

Unread post by A'ro » September 15th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Ciggy wrote: There's also hairy vetch (not to be confused with Charly Veitch)

(BL)

We did find some undeveloped carrots that resembled the Veitch in his entirety.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that concerns me,
but all the rabbit shit you have to wade through on your way down.

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 15th, 2010, 8:39 pm

(ROFL)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic