The changing face of the humble garden

Living in harmony with our world !!!
frankiesoup

The changing face of the humble garden

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 12th, 2010, 10:00 pm

This is something I wrote for my 'blog this evening, which I thought people here might like to see and comment on. I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about my ramblings.

It's just a theory I have about gardens and how they reflect the changes in society over the past hundred years. This writing was sparked by a conversation with Lyd this morning. Also, I'd like to add that I think the decline in the honey bee population has come about because people aren't planting flowers any more...

I've been thinking a lot about the typical British garden recently, and how its function has changed throughout the past few generations.

At the beginning of the 1900s, gardens were essential to a functioning kitchen, as well as to the household economy. My 83 year-old drinking buddy was taught how to grow crops as a little boy because otherwise, there simply wouldn't have been enough food. Wartime compounded the need for private land to work and rationing meant that any alternative sources of edibles was in high demand.Companion gardening was also necessary, due to the lack of pesticides and chemical fertilisers, giving bees a great honey crop from the herbal flowers and plentiful fruit bushes.

As wartime children grew up and moved into houses of their own, they set aside a portion of land for food, as they had been taught to, but also installed areas simply meant for enjoyment. They set about creating beautiful borders and lawns for ball games. Think about it - whenever you see an immaculately laid out flowerbed, spread with a colourful patchwork of pansies and roses, you automatically presume that an 'old lady' lives there, don't you? That someone who grew up during the bleak years of the war has made this joyous, life-affirming thing.

The next generation, having grown up with large grassy patches in which play, turned an increasing amount of their land over to lawns. The working area of the traditional garden continued to earn its keep, but as a space to park the family car, and light the summer barbeques. Gardens suddenly meant suburbia, which meant success and something of a Yuppie 'lifestyle'. But as with all things, we shun the life our parents aspired to - 40 is the new 30 afterall, and we no longer want a peaceful life away from the city. We want 24 hour supermarkets, nightclubs, and a cinema within walking distance.

And so comes my sorry generation, ready to leave our mark on the British garden. 100 years on, at the start of this new century, we set to tarring over the lawns we enjoyed so much as children to make way for our herd of cars. Grass, which would take so little to maintain, is suddenly seen as an inconvenience rather than a pleasure and so we rid ourselves of the chore of cutting it, employing our well-stored cars to visit places where other people have maintained the park-land and countryside we so desire to see. As a species we long for open spaces and greenery, yet in our homes we strive to eliminate all forms floral life.

I want to return to the way things were - not necessarily to the complete hard graft my friend grew up with, but certainly to a garden which combines productive soil and lazy grassy areas. I am proud of ever misshapen tomato I serve, of every cup of camomile tea I drink, because I grew it myself. I fed the bees with my flowers and my soul with the greenery. The longer I stay in the countryside, the more human I feel, despite the fact I seem to be distancing myself increasingly from the popular 'norm'.

Lights in the cities get brighter and people push back the darkness. I wonder what they're afraid of. Perhaps if they dimmed the lights and drew the courage to look, they might see the stars and the world around them.

But forgive me, I think I've grown incoherent. Either it's the sound of Crackdown 2 in the background, or the fact I've only had two cups of tea today, but my mind is wandering. I will take this moment of clarity to say, 'goodnight'.

Here's the link to the original, if anyone is interested: http://frankiesoup.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/gardening/

Beauty is beauty, in spite of perfection.

I AM ALL I AM

Re: The changing face of the humble garden

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 6:43 am

I LOVE YOU

G'day Frankiesoup. :wave (TH)

You raise some great points. (TU) The bee thing though was mainly large commercial bee keepers and had something to do with a chemical produced by Bayer or Monsanto (not 100% sure which one and a house mate isn't either ... he's the one that looked right into this around 3 years ago as he lived with someone that keeps bees). It was blown out of proportion, as the MSM are wont to do, and used as another fear factor promo. (W)

Both parents (born 1931 & 1940) were from very small towns in the country, so I grew up with an 'old school' mentality with gardening as well. We had 7 large trees in our quarter acre block of Sydney yard (western suburbs area), the old man and I eventually removing one of them after it having been there for 15+ years. Raking leaves and watering the gardening was one of the chores, as well as mowing the lawn. The large difference that I see with yards in Sydney now are that the blocks are even smaller than the quarter acre blocks (they were originally half acre) and the houses have gotten bigger. As you can well imagine, this leaves little space available for a garden, let alone growing of edible food.

The 'CONvenience' of the supermarket has also played a part in the disappearance of growing some of our own food, furthering the dependency on others for subsisting.

Back in '97-'98, after having gotten back from the UK, I started Wing Chun Kung Fu and also started to 'clean up' my eating habits. I got involved in using some amino acids and came across someone that attempted to get me involved in USANA, a multi-level marketing company that sold amino acids (BTW, I do not recommend supplementation in any form (W) ). She gave me an article to read that had an interesting fact in it. Apparently, in the early 1900's 95% of the US population grew some part of the food that they consumed. By the 1990's only 5% of the population grew some part of the food that they consumed. Quite a turn around and indicative of where the population are at in regards to self-sufficiency/independence.

Anyway, they are a few points that I though I would raise. I think that you have a great start on an article that could highlight some serious issues. If you'd like some assistance in researching further information to 'flesh it out', let me know and I'll do some 'digging'. (TU)

THANK YOU

WHEN PAIRED OPPOSITES DEFINE YOUR BELIEFS,
YOUR BELIEFS WILL IMPRISON YOU.

What is TRUTH ? . . . .THAT THE ONENESS IS ALL !!!
What is JOY ? . . . . . .ALL THAT THE ONENESS IS !!!
What is LOVE ? . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT IS ALL !!!
What is LIFE ? . . . . . ALL THAT IS THE ONENESS !!!
WHO AM I ? . . . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT ALL IS !!!

frankiesoup

Unread post by frankiesoup » September 13th, 2010, 9:39 am

I definitely think it would be an interesting thing to look into - even the fairly simple statistics you mentioned are pretty revealing.

Another topic I'd really like to go into detail about is working animals. I have a cat because we needed something to scare the squirels in the roof away, but I know a lot of people who think that it's cruel to use her natural instincts in this way .She hunts regardless of what we do though - it's her nature. Whether we feed her the poshest cat food around, or just scraps of what we're having, the fact that she's a cat and has a brain that's wired to hunt means she's always bringing rabbits, mice, shrews, voles, lizards and even the occasional hamster into the house. My mum's cat is the same, though she was actually put up for adoption because the owner didn't want to have to deal with parts of her kills being scattered about the place.

The same goes for dogs - a friend with a dairy farm uses a labrador to round up the cows and because of the size difference between the hound and the cattle, people have called this cruel. Said labrador gets the job done though, is constantly wagging her tail as she does it and is the only member of that particular breed I've met which isn't horribly obese.

Does the rest of the world think that having a working relationship with pets is ok, or have sensibilities changed now?

I think that's my next big rant/article.

Beauty is beauty, in spite of perfection.

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 13th, 2010, 3:58 pm

The system discourages any home growing that doesn't involve Mon-Satan seeds and Dupont chemicals. They also know that's the way forward for breaking free from the system's cage, is the ability to self-sustain without running on the system's treadmills.

"Next to murder, the worst crime a slave could commit was to run away." --A History of the People of the United States.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 5:45 pm

I LOVE YOU

Children love homegrown foods: study

by admin on April 24, 2007

New York, April 24 (IANS) Children tend to eat more fruits and vegetable if they are homegrown, says a study.

Researchers interviewed parents of 1,658 children aged two to five years living in rural Missouri and asked them about their family’s diet, including homegrown fruits and vegetables.

The study, published in April’s journal of the American Dietetic Association, found that children weren’t the only ones who ate more produce if it was homegrown. Their parents did, too.

Children who ate the most fruits and vegetables were those in families that always or almost always ate homegrown produce. Those children averaged 5.2 daily servings of fruits and vegetables, reported the online edition of WebMD.

Many plants can grow in containers on a balcony or deck.

http://www.freshnews.in/children-love-h ... study-4864

THANK YOU

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 5:55 pm

I LOVE YOU

G'day. :wave (TH)

Here's another consideration, especially for Americans ...

S510 – Illegal To Grow, Share, Trade, Sell Homegrown Food

SB S510 Will Allow Government
To Put You In Jail ….

S510 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510 )

“If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” It is similar to what India faced with imposition of the salt tax during British rule, only S 510 extends control over all food in the US, violating the fundamental human right to food.” ~ Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower.

Monsanto says it has no interest in the bill and would not benefit from it, but Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to have designed it and is waiting as an appointed Food Czar to the FDA (a position unapproved by Congress) to administer the agency it would create without judicial review if it passes.
S 510 would give Monsanto unlimited power over all US seed, food supplements, food AND FARMING.

Continued at ... http://rawearthliving.wordpress.com/201 ... wn-food-2/

Congress is Moving to Criminalize Home-Grown Food

According to Poor Richard’s Blog, which posts the URL to the legislation, Congress — at the apparent behest of Monsanto — is moving to make it a crime to "grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat" one’s own food. The direct URL may be found here.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

The bill is sponsored by Richard Durbin, the U.S. senator representing Monsanto in this piece of legislative filth. He is a registered Democrat. Among the seventeen co-sponsors listed are Lamar Alexander, Kirsten Gillibrand, Christopher Dodd, David Vitter, Ben Nelson, Orrin Hatch, and the late Ted Kennedy (what the hell?). It is currently under consideration in the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, and on the House Committee on Homeland Security.

Continued at ... http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/64426

THANK YOU

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 6:01 pm

I LOVE YOU

Supporting organizations of the Hawai'i Homegrown Food Network

Know Your Farmer Alliance http://www.knowyourfarmeralliance.com
Kona Coffee Farmers Association http://konacoffeefarmers.org
Kona County Farm Bureau http://www.konafarmbureau.org
Kona Outdoor Circle http://www.konaoutdoorcircle.org
North Kohala Food Forum http://nkfoodforum.com
Hawai'i Organic Farmers Association http://www.hawaiiorganic.org
Hawai'i Tea Society http://www.hawaiiteasociety.org/Slow Food Hawai'i http://www.slowfoodhawaii.org
Hawai'i Tropical Fruit Growers http://www.hawaiitropicalfruitgrowers.org
Sustainable Kohala http://sustainablekohala.ning.com/

http://www.agroforestry.net/hhfn/hhfn10-Jan2010.html

THANK YOU

Ciggy

Unread post by Ciggy » September 13th, 2010, 6:10 pm

On that bill, S 510:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show#

Official Summary
12/18/2009--Reported to Senate amended. FDA Food Safety Modernization Act - Title I: Improving Capacity to Prevent Food Safety Problems -

(Sec. 101)
Amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to expand the authority of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to inspect records related to food, including to:
(1) allow the inspection of records of food that the Secretary reasonably believes is likely to be affected in a similar manner as an adulterated food; and
(2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

(Sec. 102)
Authorizes the Secretary to suspend the registration of a food facility if the food manufactured, processed, packed, or held by a facility has a reasonable probability of causing serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals.

(Sec. 103)
Requires each owner, operator, or agent in charge of a food facility to:
(1) evaluate the hazards that could affect food;
(2) identify and implement preventive controls;
(3) monitor the performance of those controls; and
(4) maintain records of such monitoring. Deems facilities required to comply with certain food-specific standards to be in compliance with this section. Requires the Secretary to promulgate regulations to establish science-based minimum standards for conducting a hazard analysis, documenting hazards, implementing preventive controls, and documenting such implementation. Prohibits the operation of a facility that manufactures, processes, packs, or holds food for sale in the United States if the owner, operator, or agent in charge of such facility is not in compliance with this section. Delays implementation of this section for small businesses.

(Sec. 104)
Directs the Secretary to:
(1) review and evaluate relevant health data and other information to determine the most significant foodborne contaminants; and
(2) issue contaminant-specific and science-based guidance documents, action levels, or regulations.

(Sec. 105)
Sets forth provisions related to produce safety, including to require the Secretary to:
(1) establish science-based minimum standards for the safe production and harvesting of those types of fruits and vegetables that are raw agricultural commodities to minimize the risk of serious adverse health consequences or death; and
(2) publish updated good agricultural practices and guidance for the safe production and harvesting of specific types of fresh produce.

(Sec. 106)
Requires the Secretary to promulgate regulations to protect against the intentional adulteration of food.

(Sec. 107)
Directs the Secretary to assess and collect fees related to:
(1) food facility reinspection;
(2) food recalls;
(3) the voluntary qualified importer program; and
(4) importer reinspection. Applies export certification provisions to food.

(Sec. 108)
Requires the Secretary and the Secretary of Agriculture to prepare and submit to the relevant congressional committees and make public the National Agriculture and Food Defense Strategy, which shall include:
(1) an implementation plan;
(2) a coordinated research agenda; and
(3) a process to achieve, and evaluate progress towards, goals.

(Sec. 109)
Directs the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) to report annually on the activities of the Food and Agriculture Government Coordinating Council and the Food and Agriculture Sector Coordinating Council.

(Sec. 110)
Requires the HHS Secretary to submit to Congress:
(1) a comprehensive report that identifies programs and practices that are intended to promote the safety and supply chain security of food and to prevent outbreaks of foodborne illness and other food-related hazards that can be addressed through preventive activities; and
(2) biennial reports on food safety programs and practices following the submission of the comprehensive report. Requires the HHS Secretary and the Secretary of Agriculture to submit to Congress, biennially, a joint food safety and food defense research plan.

(Sec. 111)
Requires the HHS Secretary to promulgate regulations on sanitary transportation practices for the transportation of food.

(Sec. 112)
Requires the Secretary to develop and make available to local educational agencies, schools, early childhood education programs, and interested entities and individuals guidelines for developing plans for individuals to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis in schools and early childhood education programs, to be implemented on a voluntary basis. Sets forth issues for such guidelines to address, including:
(1) parental obligation to provide documentation of their child's food allergy;
(2) the creation of an individual plan for food allergy management;
(3) communication strategies between schools or childhood education programs and providers of emergency medical services; and
(4) strategies to reduce the risk of exposure to anaphylactic causative agents in classrooms and common school or early childhood education program areas, such as cafeterias. Allows the Secretary to award matching grants to assist local educational agencies in implementing such food allergy and anaphylaxis management guidelines. Title II: Improving Capacity to Detect and Respond to Food Safety Problems -

(Sec. 201)
Requires the Secretary to:
(1) allocate resources to inspect facilities and articles of food imported into the United States based on their risk profiles;
(2) increase the frequency of inspection of all facilities; and
(3) report to the appropriate congressional committees annually on food facility and food import inspections.

(Sec. 202)
(1) recognize bodies that accredit laboratories with a demonstrated capability to conduct analytical testing of food products;
(2) establish a publicly available registry of accreditation bodies;
(3) develop model standards that an accreditation body shall require laboratories to meet; and
(4) periodically reevaluate accreditation bodies and revoke recognition of any not in compliance with this section. Sets forth requirements for mandatory testing, including that:
(1) testing be conducted by federal laboratories or accredited nonfederal laboratories; and
(2) results of such testing be sent directly to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Requires the Secretary to review results from any sampling and testing that lead to a state or locality issuing a food recall to evaluate the need for a national recall or other compliance and enforcement activities. Requires the Secretary to report to the relevant congressional committees on the progress in implementing a national food emergency response laboratory network.

(Sec. 203)
Directs the DHS Secretary to maintain an agreement through which relevant laboratory network members will:
(1) agree on common laboratory methods in order to facilitate the sharing of knowledge and information;
(2) identify means by which each member could work cooperatively to optimize national laboratory preparedness and provide surge capacity during emergencies; and
(3) engage in ongoing dialogue and build relationships that will support a more effective and integrated response during emergencies. Sets forth reporting requirements.

(Sec. 204)
Requires the HHS Secretary to:
(1) improve tracking and tracing of fruits and vegetables that are raw agricultural commodities in the event of a foodborne illness outbreak; and
(2) establish standards for the type of information, format, and timeframe for persons to submit records to aid the Secretary in such tracking and tracing.

(Sec. 205)
Requires the Secretary to establish a pilot project to explore and evaluate methods for rapidly and effectively tracking and tracing processed food so that the Secretary may quickly identify the source of an outbreak involving such a processed food and the recipients of the contaminated food.

(Sec. 206)
Requires the Secretary, acting through the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to enhance foodborne illness surveillance systems to improve the collection, analysis, reporting, and usefulness of data on foodborne illnesses. Requires the Secretary to:
(1) develop and implement strategies to leverage and enhance the food safety and defense capacities of state and local agencies to achieve specified goals, including improving foodborne illness outbreak response and containment; and
(2) complete a review of state and local capacities and needs for enhancement not later than one year after enactment of this Act. Reauthorizes appropriations for grants to states and Indian tribes to expand participation in networks to enhance federal, state, and local food safety efforts, including meeting the costs of establishing and maintaining the food safety surveillance, technical, and laboratory capacity needed for such participation.

(Sec. 207)
Authorizes the Secretary to:
(1) provide a responsible party with an opportunity to cease distribution and recall an adulterated or misbranded article of food if the use of or exposure to such article will cause serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals;
(2) order a responsible party to immediately cease distribution and provide notice to relevant persons if the responsible party does not voluntarily cease distribution of or recall such article of food; and
(3) order a recall if the Secretary determines that removal of the article from commerce is necessary, but only after providing an opportunity for a hearing.

(Sec. 208)
Revises the standard for the administrative detention of food to allow such a detention if the FDA has reason to believe that such article is adulterated or misbranded.

(Sec. 209)
Requires the Administration of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to provide support for, and technical assistance to, state, local, and tribal governments in preparing for, assessing, decontaminating, and recovering from an agriculture or food emergency.

(Sec. 210)
Requires the Secretary to set standards and administer training and education programs for the employees of state, local, territorial, and tribal food safety officials relating to the regulatory responsibilities and policies established by this Act. Authorizes and encourages the Secretary to conduct examinations, testing, and investigations for the purposes of determining compliance with the food safety provisions of this Act through the officers and employees of such state, local, territorial, or tribal agency.

(Sec. 211)
Expands the program for grants to states, territories, and Indian tribes for inspections to include grants to:
(1) train to HHS standards for the examination, inspection, and investigation of food manufacturing, processing, packing, holding, distribution, and importation;
(2) build the capacity of the laboratories for food safety;
(3) build the infrastructure and capacity of the food safety programs; and
(4) take appropriate action to protect the public health in response to a recall of food under the FFDCA. Title III: Improving the Safety of Imported Food -

(Sec. 301)
Requires U.S. importers to perform risk-based foreign supplier verification activities to verify that imported food is produced in compliance with applicable requirements related to hazard analysis and standards for produce safety and is not adulterated or misbranded. Requires the Secretary to issue guidance to assist U.S. importers in developing foreign supplier verification programs.

(Sec. 302)
(1) establish a program to provide for the expedited review and importation of food offered for importation by U.S. importers who have voluntarily agreed to participate in such program; and
(2) issue a guidance document related to participation and compliance with such program.

(Sec. 303)
Requires imported food that fails to meet requirements for a certification or other assurance that the food meets applicable FFDCA requirements to be refused admission. Authorizes the Secretary to require, as a condition of granting admission to an article of food into the United States, that an entity provide a certification or other assurances that the article of food complies with applicable FFDCA requirements.

(Sec. 304)
Directs the Secretary to require, prior to importation of an article of food, notice of any country to which such article has been refused entry.

(Sec. 305)
Requires the Secretary to determine whether a country can provide reasonable assurances that the food supply of the country meets or exceeds the safety of food manufactured, processed, packed, or held in the United States.

(Sec. 306)
Directs the Secretary to develop a comprehensive plan to expand the technical, scientific, and regulatory capacity of foreign governments and food industries from which foods are exported to the United States.

(Sec. 307)
Authorizes the Secretary to enter into arrangements and agreements with foreign governments to facilitate the inspection of registered foreign facilities. Requires the Secretary to direct resources to inspections of foreign facilities, supplies, and food types to help ensure the safety and security of the U.S. food supply. Requires food to be refused admission into the United States if permission to inspect the food facility is denied by the facility owner, operator, or agent or the foreign country.

(Sec. 308)
Sets forth provisions governing the establishment of a system to recognize bodies that accredit third-party auditors and audit agents to certify that eligible entities meet applicable FFDCA requirements for importation of food into the United States.

(Sec. 309)
Requires the Secretary to establish offices of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in foreign countries to provide assistance to the appropriate governmental entities with respect to measures to provide for the safety of articles of food and other products regulated by the FDA that are exported by such countries to the United States.

(Sec. 310)
(1) develop and implement a strategy to better identify sand prevent entry into the United States of smuggled food; and
(2) notify the DHS Secretary not later than ten days after identifying a smuggled food that would cause serious adverse health consequences or death to humans or animals. Requires a press release to warn consumers and vendors about a potential threat from smuggled food if certain requirements are met. Title IV: Miscellaneous Provisions -

(Sec. 401)
Authorizes appropriations for FY2010-FY2014 for the activities of the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, the Center for Veterinary Medicine, and related field activities in the Office of Regulatory Affairs of the FDA. Directs the HHS Secretary to increase the field staff of such Centers and Office.

(Sec. 402)
Establishes whistleblower protections for employees of entities involved in the manufacturing, processing, packing, transporting, distribution, reception, holding, or importation of food who provide information relating to any violation of the FFDCA.

(Sec. 404)
Declares that nothing in this Act shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.

(Sec. 405)
Requires the Secretary to update the Fish and Fisheries Products Hazards and Control Guidance to take into account advances in technology.

(Sec. 406)
Requires the Secretary, acting through the Commissioner of Food and Drugs, to study the transportation of food for consumption in the United States, including an examination of the unique needs of rural and frontier areas with regard to the delivery of safe food.Stay Connected with the Library All ways to connect »Find us onSubscribe & CommentRSS & E-MailBlogsDownload & PlayPodcastsWebcastsiTunes U About | Press | Site Map | Contact | Accessibility | Legal | External Link Disclaimer | USA.govSpeech Enabled

Ciggy summary: the letter of it is to beef up (no pun intended) existing regulations about food safety. It COULD be used to shut down an individual family garden if the system interprets it a certain way, or it could also be used to shut down Monsanto for being a public health hazard. I'd vote for the latter.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I LOVE YOU

AWESOME VIDEO !!!

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/dervaes#p/u/15/9iZ8TcrDT5g

THANK YOU

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » September 13th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Ciggy wrote:On that bill, S 510:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show#

<snip>

Ciggy summary: the letter of it is to beef up (no pun intended) existing regulations about food safety. It COULD be used to shut down an individual family garden if the system interprets it a certain way, or it could also be used to shut down Monsanto for being a public health hazard. I'd vote for the latter.

I LOVE YOU

G'day Ciggy. :wave (TH)

Which way do you think that the politicians, etc, will vote ? (EEK)

After all, they will be the ones with the power to enforce the statutes. (W)

THANK YOU

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic